Monday, May 11, 2015

#MicroblogMonday: Post Mother's Day


Can I just say, I think yesterday was the most peaceful Mother's Day I've ever had? As the weekend started, I kept expecting to get anxious, but I never did.

I think several factors helped.

1) We always turn that day into a celebration of the other spouse. So its not Mother's Day, but Savannah's Day. In June, we will have Josh's Day. We buy each other a gift and then that person gets to decide what they want to do that day. This year, Josh gave me some charms for my Pandora bracelet and a new necklace. Then he picked out two cards. A sappy romantic one from him, and then a cute humorous one from him and the fur-babies, which included an iTunes gift card from the fur-babies.

2) Maybe I'm selfish, but I find it hard to celebrate Mother's on that day. I was talking with a friend this weekend, and told her, "I love my mom every day. But when it comes to Mother's Day, I have a hard time focusing on that love because I'm too caught up in my own grief of what never was." That day always makes it harder on me. So I choose to avoid mother's on that day. Its nothing against them, I just am usually in such a horrid state of mind that I can't be around others.

3) Church was amazing this year. Its probably been 8 years since I've been to church on that dreaded day. I just couldn't handle it. But over the past few months, I've developed a much deeper relationship with God. I always considered myself a religious person, but I'm not starting to realize, I was never a spiritual person. I've had some amazing changes take place in my heart and soul. I have a deeper love for my Savior than ever before. I think that is one of the biggest reasons this year was so much easier. Our pastor did a beautiful job of acknowledging mothers in all walks of life.

You can find more of this weeks #MicroblogMondays posts HERE.

6 comments:

  1. Glad you had a wonderful Savannah's day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds a lovely day, and glad that it passed so peacefully.

    We used to celebrate Mother's Day for my mother-in-law the day before, using the excuse that all the restaurants would be crowded on Sunday. The last few years though we've been taking them dinner to their house (they don't drive at night unless it is essential), and so it is a little different. I don't mind focusing on her and on my mother, as they're old and frail and relatively alone (3 of MILs 4 sons all live overseas). But I don't do anything for my sisters or others I know who are mothers. They have other people to celebrate them. And I'm not sure I have it in me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a perfect day to me! I'm glad to hear that it was peaceful and I'm glad that you found a church community that supports you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun tradition -- like a second birthday.

    And it's true: I tell my mum I love her through words and actions those 364 days, too. Why that day over all other days?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found that some desires take time to materialize. Then I understood why time was needed for me to prepare myself. Things will come together and fall in place in time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother-in-law died before I got to meet her, and my mother lives 1,000 miles away. A card & a phone call will usually make her happy, thank goodness. Glad you had a good experience at church. A sensitive pastor can make such a difference...!!

    ReplyDelete